Friday 3 September 2021

Spiritual Self Evaluation

 Written by Netisha Alie-Grant 

(Author of Inspirational Book Walking a Two-Way Street) 



The king of Pop (MJ) so eloquently presented one of the most life-changing messages in his song Man in the Mirror. That if we wanted to truly make the change we believe the world needs  in all its pain and hurt we had to start with ourselves. 


Too often we are quick to magnify the faults in others but fail to see ours. In the book of Matthew chapter 7:3-5 Jesus calls anyone who chooses to see the faults in others and tries to remove it without first removing their own a HYPOCRITE! 

So here’s a checklist to help you identify and remove the speck in your eyes and to note just where you are on your spiritual journey in God. 


Simply put, a checklist is a method used to assess ones work to know if they have covered everything that was required of them. 

Time to self evaluate! 

Here are ten questions you can ask yourself to note how you are doing as a believer! 

1. Do I present myself a living sacrifice, holy acceptable to God? ~Romans 12:1 (opening my heart to be used by God however He chooses? 

Do I walk uprightly/blamelessly, work righteously and speak the truth in my heart? ~Psalms 15:2


2. Do I avoid backbiting with my tongue, doing evil to my Neighbour, or taking up reproach against my friends? ~Psalms 15:3

Do I bless and not curse those who persecute me? ~Romans 12:14, 17 & 20


3. Do I despise a vile (morally bad or wicked) person but honour those who fear (respect & honour) the Lord? ~Psalms 15:4 

Do I love sincerely, hate what is evil, cling to what is good? ~Romans 12:9 & 21 


4. Do I keep an oath (marriage, giving my heart to God, signing a contract…) that I made even when it hurts, and do not change my mind? ~Psalms 15:4 


5. Do I lend money to the poor without interest, freely scatter my gifts to the poor, & reject bribes against the innocent? ~Psalms 15:5, 112:5 & 9 and Romans 12:13 


6. Am I gracious and FULL of compassion like Christ is to me? ~Psalms 112:4 and Romans 12:10 


7. Am I easily shaken and moved by things around me? ~Psalms 112:5 and 15:5 

Am I unaffected by bad news because I trust completely in the Lord? ~Psalms 112:7 and Romans 12:11 & 12


8. Do I conform to or am I influenced by the things of the flesh and world or do I spend time in the things of the spirit of God to renew my mind? ~Romans 12:2 

 (see Galatians 5:16-26 for examples of the flesh/world versus the spirit)  


9. Do I rejoice with those who rejoice? Am I happy for others and celebrate their successes and joys with them? Do I mourn with those who mourn? Am I empathetic and caring when others hurt, even those I do not know? ~Psalms 112:15 

Note: being happy for others increases the number of times you get to be happy! 


Finally, 

10. Am I living in Harmony with others? ~Romans 12:16 & 18

Do I take revenge or leave room for God’s wrath since He said; “vengeance is mine and I will repay? 


There are many other self check points in the Bible that can help us stay on the narrow path and examine ourselves as believers but these are a good place to start. (Psalms 15, 112 & Romans 12) 


Inspired by God, a message preached to the congregation at Miracle Ministry International Church on Sunday August 29th 2021 by Lady Alie-Grant 

Shaloam! 

No comments:

The misconception of the Jesus is coming SOON concept

  Written by Netisha Alie-Grant (Author of Walking a Two-Way street & The Essence of Life: God, Them, & Me!”  Listen to Podcast here...

Contact Young and Christian

Name

Email *

Message *