Friday 17 September 2021

Christian musicians: Behind the musical fingers of Elroy Francis

 


Written by Netisha Alie-Grant 

(Author of Inspirational Book Walking a Two-Way Street) 


“As bad as things got, I refused every Carnival event yearly. The financial temptation was great but I maintained my decision.”


We all know of the MANY musicians who begin in the church but later leave for “greener pastures” in the World. However, there is one musician who has chosen quite the opposite. 




Elroy is a born-again Christian whose musical skills take him out into the world on occasions but his firm foundation keeps him rooted in Christ. 


In 1 Corinthians 10:13, Paul explains how God is faithful not to give us more than we can bear but gives us a way to escape our temptation… it reads “13 No temptation[a] has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful;(A) he will not let you be tempted[b] beyond what you can bear. (B) But when you are tempted,[c] he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.”


So who is Elroy, how is he able to escape temptation when he launches into the deep and what can we learn from him? 


The journey to choosing Christianity: 


I grew up in a Christian family with both parents and two siblings. Father is a musician and musical director and mom sings. The family was very involved in church activities.



I accepted Christ as an early teen and never went back on my decision to follow Him. Of course, the road has been rocky. Challenges and temptations were many. However, I have yet to meet a circumstance too big for my God.




Musical career: 


My father taught me musical rudiments from a tender age but it wasn’t until 12 I felt a desire for the instrument (Keyboard), practicing in my bedroom for days at a time.



I began ministering on keys at 17 with a heavy Black-American musical flavor. This was considered jazzy and modern and was different from most players at that time.



Without my knowledge word spread about my playing ability. When meeting musicians for the first time, whom I greatly respected and aspired towards locally, they would greet me with a high level of respect, as though they have been waiting to meet me for a long time, they saw me as a great musician. 


At my church, this was different though. I was ridiculed, criticized, and discouraged many times, but my desire to play was very strong. Each criticism only served as motivation to go further.



Eventually, I was approached to play for weddings, services, and events, including competitions and other churches. Many of these events would compensate me financially and I began looking forward to these functions. This would open up an avenue where I saw the need to purchase my own instrument.


God made a way for me to acquire the instrument I was desirous for.


Having my own keyboard gave me freedom from borrowing and the ability to practice more freely. This is where my musical career really starting cooking. 



What is it like playing both in and out of church? 


In my early 20s, some musical comrades approached me about using my talent to work on a regular basis outside of the church. Being a young adult, the sound of making money while doing something I loved made lots of sense. Knowing only gospel music, however, was a tremendous challenge.


In our little unit (band) we were all young church musicians playing mostly oldies, love songs, and the occasional church song when we just couldn't figure out what else to play. Yes, church music In a secular environment. This did not feel strange to us though, because there wasn't a singer.


But of course, the band sounded good, and it was a matter of time before a singer approached the band with a proposal. Offered on the table, was more weekly jobs and higher more regular compensation. The sacrifice was the type of material we were being asked to play. Negotiations took place and the middle was achieved regarding venues and songs, and a business relationship begin. This is when things changed from just a fun money-making venture to an obligated contractual work. 


Not every gig was successful but as bad as things got, I refused every Carnival event yearly. The financial temptation was great but I maintained my decision. Personally, I just don't believe certain jobs are for me so I would turn down requests and offers.




Does being in 'two worlds' have an effect on you? 



To me, ministering in the church is what I was called for. Playing music outside of the church is a job for financial compensation. As far as music goes, secular music just does not penetrate my spirit nor speak to me like gospel music does, especially the message in the music. 

Moreover, I tend to be more focused on the instrumentation of music instead of the lyrics which probably plays a key role in my ability to withstand certain environments without being phased.


I've had church members approach me having seen me playing in a secular environment saying, they could swear I was two different people, because the heart I put into playing in the church during services, is totally absent on a gig.




Words to share with the readers or other young Christians; 



I think as Christians we need to know where our strengths are. If you cannot swim, diving into the deep side of a pool may not be a great idea. We may not always be able to control our environment but that's what God is for. In our weakness, He is made strong and you'd be surprised at how a quick silent prayer can change your current situation.


I've had to make some tough calls and turn down jobs when I could really use the funds but God is no man's debtor and I know if He has brought me this far He will see me through. -Sign Maestro [E. Francis]





You may ask; “Can I play music in the world if I am a child of God?”

Where your heart is there your treasure lies also (Matthew 6:21) and that is your answer. 

No comments:

The misconception of the Jesus is coming SOON concept

  Written by Netisha Alie-Grant (Author of Walking a Two-Way street & The Essence of Life: God, Them, & Me!”  Listen to Podcast here...

Contact Young and Christian

Name

Email *

Message *